"An Attitude of Gratitude"

Thursday, November 27, 2014


"We can lift ourselves, and others as well, when we refuse to remain in the realm of negative thought and cultivate within our hearts an attitude of gratitude. If ingratitude be numbered among the serious sins, then gratitude takes its place among the noblest of virtues." - President Thomas S Monson


I am GRATEFUL... to have grown up in a loving family, with a supportive mother and father who loved me and provided for me.

I am GRATEFUL... for a father who's favorite hobby became his job, and that he is happy where he works and good at what he does.

I am GRATEFUL... for a mother who I can call my best friend, who comes to visit me at school, who shares a love of hiking and books and who knows me better than I know myself.

I am GRATEFUL... for a brother and sister-in-law who sacrifice so much to protect the integrity of this country, and who have gone through so much but somehow still manage to make it through.

I am GRATEFUL... for a older sister, who is the example of hard work and patience, and who believes that being a dork is the best thing in the world if it makes you happy.

I am GRATEFUL... for a little sister who has put enough effort into our relationship that I now consider her one of my closest friends, and has set the most wonderful example for me in recent years.

I am GRATEFUL... for three dogs and three cats that have brought me greater joy than I could possibly imagine in fuzzy four-footed creatures, and whom I love more than words can express.

I am GRATEFUL... for my education, that through hard work and wonderful opportunities, I can now pass on my knowledge to younger generations and shape their lives in unimaginable ways.

I am GRATEFUL... for my sweet friends, who have helped me through the hardest times of my life, who have never given up on me, and who have made me laugh and have made me far happier than I ever thought I would be

I am GRATEFUL... for a car that runs and keeps me safe, that I can call my own, and that I have loved since the day I started driving it almost six years ago.

I am GRATEFUL... for a warm bed at night, a fireplace, a house with a large kitchen and spacious backyard where my dogs can play and I can see the trees and mountains and watch the rain on the windows when the storms blow in.

I am GRATEFUL... for the health that I enjoy, that I only have minor complaints and issues and that I am still alive and able to find joy in every day.

I am GRATEFUL... for the many people I've had the opportunity to meet in the thirteen houses and three states I've lived in in the past twenty two years, the things I've learned from them, and the knowledge that my life is forever changed because of their influence and kindness.

I am GRATEFUL... for modern technology, that allows us to keep in touch with people half a world away, and gives us opportunities to make a livelihood, maintain relationships, and change the world.

I am GRATEFUL... for the opportunities I've had to travel the world, for each cathedral or museum I've visited, each bridge I've crossed or field I've trekked, for bringing me knowledge and experience, and a desire for adventure that will never be quenched.

I am GRATEFUL... for the mountains that are so close by, where I can climb the rocks, hike the trails, smell the wildflowers and see the world from an unforgettable vantage point.

I am GRATEFUL... for a gospel that brings me so much peace, that teaches that all injustices will be made right in the end, that teachers that we can live with our families forever, and we will get to see them again, that we have an older brother who loved us enough to die for us, and that we can find happiness in this seemingly dark and bitter world.

I am GRATEFUL... for the time that I had to serve in my mission in Mexico, the lessons and language I learned, the people who influenced me more than they can possibly know, and the hope for a future where I can be a missionary once more.

I am GRATEFUL... for the blessings which I can't count, the ones that I don't remember, the ones that I used to have but no longer enjoy, and the endless and unimaginable blessings I will be able to enjoy in the future.

I am GRATEFUL... that I have so many things to be grateful for.