BFFs in Zion

Sunday, June 1, 2014

Let me tell you a little something, first of all. Everyone loves their mother. Well, pretty much everyone anyway. I love my mother to pieces. I honestly consider her to be my best friend. I've gone through a lot of friends, because I've moved so many times, but my mother has always been there for me. And not even in the traditional "I'm here for you because I'm your mother" sense. I would honestly rather spend time with my mother (and my sisters and dad) than just about anybody else. She is my favorite person in the entire world, and I have never been more grateful for anyone (besides my Dad and siblings) in my entire life.


I'm fortunate enough to live in the wonderful Cedar City, where there are a bunch of national parks well within driving range. A favorite here is Zion National Park. Seriously, I think I go basically every weekend during the summer. I love that about Cedar. Because it's the summer months, I've been basically living alone in my fabulous house on the mountainside. Other than working, I haven't really had tons to do. So when I told my Mom that I would probably spend the weekend alone, watching the Office and sleeping, she decided that it would be a great idea to come down and visit! And go hiking, of course! Zion is one of our favorite places in the whole world. We're big fans of anything outdoors. Hiking is a staple in our family during the summer. Also trips to Yellowstone. We're amateur animal stalkers... ha ha ha! No but really. If there's a chance to be outside (and not wear shoes...) I take it.


So she drove down on Friday, and we had a fun time visiting the St. George temple. I love being able to go do a session with my sweet mother. It's one of the most rewarding and spiritual experiences! On Saturday, we got up and drove to Zion! I convinced her to hike one of my favorite hikes, Hidden Canyon. It's a really cool (slightly strenuous hike) that shares a trail with Observation Point for part of the way. It leads back into a slot canyon type environment, with a beautiful natural arch towards the end of the trail. It was SUCH a nice day to be able to hike! The trail wasn't too bad because it was mostly in the shade, so we had a pretty easy time. After we finished the hike, we got lunch in the Zion lodge, and then (slightly sore) we headed back to Cedar to see the Cedar Valley Community Theater (and some friends/old roommates) perform Oklahoma! which was fabulous! I love doing all these summer-y things. Even though I won't be able to have these kind of experiences or trips while I'm on my mission, I will always treasure the memories! And of course, I'll be all the more excited to hike and explore and travel again when I get back. Our next adventure will be in Newport Beach with the rest of the family and some of my amazing cousins! I can't wait!

Mama Steele said...

As many times as we butted heads over the years, since you were about 2, I can't really express how much this post means to me. I love you, I am so proud of you and it means the world that you consider me your best friend! Thank you for this awesome post!