Frohe Weihnachten

Saturday, December 6, 2014

Yeah, yeah I know.

That's German.

Well you may not know, but despite the fact that I was called to Mexico, I made sure to put on my mission papers that I knew quite a bit of German.

Well, high school German. So about as good as I could get.

Funny story... at one point, during one of our lessons in the MTC, I didn't know the Spanish word I wanted to use. So I used the German one instead...

whooops.... 

I'll never forget how confused my teacher looked. My companion, on the other hand, busted out laughing and I think we giggled for a solid five minutes with that one.

I never had the foresight to think that taking Spanish would be more beneficial than German.

Ha.... ha.... irrelevant..... 

side note : my dad served in the army and was stationed in Germany for three years during the cold war, and we had the opportunity a few years ago on our way to Serbia to visit his old stomping grounds and explore the wonderful, beautiful (rainy) Deutschland for a few days.

side note number two :  my great great grandma and grandpa immigrated from europe, being born in Germany and Poland respectively. Soooo we have a preeeeetty strong German/Polish family history that I'm insanely proud of.

side note number three: I actually saw my high school german teacher (from when I went to high school in Arizona) in the MTC (at the Provo temple during a session, actually).... she and her husband were on their way to serve in the Germany Berlin mission... talk about a small world.

Anyways... 

The point of this is... I loooooooove all things German. I love Germany. I love schnitzel. I love spätzle. I love Neuschwanstein. I love little german bakeries and chocolate croissants and bratwurst and lederhosen and biergartens (sans beer, of course) and little cobblestone streets and castles and gothic architecture and cathedrals and the autobahn.

Earlier today, my mom emailed me a link to a little shindig that goes on each time this year for a few days. Christkindlmarkt. A little collection of wooden shops, selling different things- from jewelry to little German clocks and nutcrackers... and there was also live reindeer, German yodelers, Alp horns, and visits from St Nicholas himself. Obviously, we decided to go (at my insistance, of course).

It was magical. 










For anyone who wants to take a look into our most recent trip to the r e a l  Germany... you can check out the pictures in this adorable little slideshow as it takes you down the Steele family memory lane.... through Münich, Dachau, Bavaria.... ahhhhhh those were the days.


& in honor of weihnachten.... alles liebe!